Want to know MLA salary in India? Well, don't worry you came to the right place, check our easy-to-read article.
An MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) is a representative in the Manitoba Legislative Assembly who is chosen by the people of his or her constituency or electoral division.
Roles performed by MLA
An MLA may be asked to do up to four different tasks:
- Understanding the spirit of current laws, creating new laws, and analysing, discussing, and then supporting or opposing the implementation of new laws are all part of the work of a legislator.
- As a Representative of their constituency, a Member can speak up on behalf of people, represent different points of view, or intervene and help solve problems.
- A Member of the Legislative Assembly is also a member of an elected party caucus. They may be involved in creating and organising House strategy, supporting the caucus and its choices, and building knowledge in certain subject areas in this role.
- The MLA may serve as a Cabinet Minister or an Opposition Critic, depending on their party's political fortunes.
MLA salary in india
An Indian Member of the Legislative Assembly receives the following base pay and various benefits.
Basic salary+DA+HRA+Travel Allowances, Constituency Allowances, and other Compensatory Allowances make up a total monthly MLA salary. All of the allowances listed below will not be the same for each state legislator.
MLA salaries and allowances vary by state, therefore the information about average monthly salary provided below may not be accurate. However, in India, the average monthly salary of an MLA currently exceeds one lakh rupees.
We've included an average salary and many allowances for MLAs in India in the table below. An Indian Member of the Legislative Assembly receives the following base pay and various benefits.
Amount (in Rs)
Telephone charges against the Govt. telephone installed at Hostel Residence at Dispur.
Telephone charge installed at the Members residence in his/ her home Constituency.
List of State and State MLA Salary
Salary (in Rs)
Madhya Pradesh (MP)
Andhra Pradesh (AP)
What other facilities are enjoyed by the MLAs besides the salary?
Along with the MLA salary per month, a member of the legislative assembly political person receives the following additional benefits and allowances.
- Sitting Allowances/Daily Allowances: State MLAs would receive Rs.2000/- per day during the Assembly Session and Committee Meetings, in addition to their basic wage.
- Medical Facilities: All Government Hospitals, Dispensaries, and other Recognized Hospitals will provide medical attention and treatment to members of the MLA's family.
- Allowance for Travel (TA) and Travel Facilities:
If a state legislator uses the official car to attend a Parliamentary session or a meeting of a Parliamentary Committee:
- By train: One non-transferable First class AC or Executive class train pass, as well as one First and one Second class price.
- By air: One-fourth of the member's airfare on the carriers with whom he or she flies.
- By road: the cost is Rs. 16/- each kilometre.
- Mileage Allowance: A Mileage Allowance of Rs. 16/- per kilometre for travelling on official business in his or her own car or a private vehicle.
- Family Pension: The family pension for the Member's widow/widower shall be set at 50% of the amount of pension that the Ex-Member is authorised to withdraw at the time of his/her death, subject to a monthly minimum of Rs. 3000/-.
What benefits do MLA get after retirement?
You will benefit from Rs. 3000 per month in pension, Rs. 8000 in diesel expenditure, and the lifetime benefit of a free railway pass and medical facility if you depart from the MLA position after 5 years of reigning.
The average income of MLAs has increased by over 125 percent in the last seven years, which is worth noticing.
MLA salaries in the Delhi state assembly have been hiked by 450 percent, while MLA salaries in Telangana have been enhanced by 170 percent. So, in summary, a person's life is secure for the rest of his or her life after becoming and retiring as an MLA.
MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly) is an abbreviation for Member of Legislative Assembly. In India, citizens elect MLAs by voting for the candidate who best represents their interests.
Before casting their vote, Indian citizens must extensively research the nominated MLA candidate. Only then can people select the best MLA for their state.
A few common people in India are eagerly awaiting answers to their questions about the average monthly pay of all government higher officials, including MLAs, MPs, CMs, PMs, and Governors.
In this post, we will discuss the remuneration of a Member of Legislative Assembly in India.
So, here you will get all the details about Member of Legislative Assembly - MLA Monthly Gross Salary & Other Benefits such as Daily Allowances, Travel Allowances, Medical Benefits, House Rent Allowances, Constituency Allowance, and other benefits such as Family Pension, and so on.
All of these perks, as well as basic pay, are included in an MLA's average monthly salary in India.
So, check out the details of the entire MLA Salary India 2022 in the sections below, as well as the benefits that MLAs in India receive after retirement.
I hope you liked our article on Salary of MLA. If you have any comments or suggestions please leave a comment below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How much is the MLA Pension?
Those who have served in the Legislative Assembly/ Council or both are eligible for a pension of Rs. 20,000/- per month. Since MLAs are a part of the Legislative Assembly, they also receive the same amount of pension as other members.
Q2. At what percent of the government increased the salary of MLA in India?
The Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Anil Baijal, has approved a 66 percent pay raise for Delhi MLAs, as suggested by the Centre. The existing monthly salary and allowances would be increased from Rs 54,000 to Rs 90,000.
Q3. Who is the youngest MLA in India?
Bharaj is the assembly's youngest member. Vijay Inder Singla, a member of the Congress and a Cabinet minister, was beaten by her by 36,430 votes. She worked as a polling agent for Bhagwant Mann in 2014.
Q4. What is the minimum age to become MLA?
As per the constitution of India, the age of MLA should not be less than Twenty Five Years of age on the date of scrutiny of nomination papers. (Refer : Article 84 (b) of Constitution of India and Article 173 (b) of the Constitution read with Sec. 36 (2) of the Representation of People Act, 1951.)
Q5. What are the powers of MLA?
Legislative powers: The legislature's most essential role is to make laws. MLAs have the authority to enact legislation on all of the topics in List II (state list) and List III (national list) (concurrent list).
Police, prisons, irrigation, agriculture, local governments, public health, pilgrimages, burial grounds, and other goods are among them. Education, marriage and divorce, forests, and the protection of wild animals and birds are some of the topics on which both parliament and states can pass legislation.
Financial powers: The assembly's and MLAs' next most important function is budgetary responsibility.
The state's finances are under the supervision of the legislative assembly, which must approve the budget submitted by the administration in power and guarantee that funds are allocated effectively and appropriately for governance.
Electoral power: The state legislature has a say in who becomes India's president.
Constitutional powers: Parliament can modify some provisions of the Indian Constitution with the approval of half of the state legislatures.