Want to know how to close HDFC bank account? Well you have landed on the right article!
There are many reasons why you might want to close your existing HDFC bank account, such as maintaining a minimum balance or because of the perks some other bank is offering to you.
The HDFC bank has a user-friendly mobile app and a highly secure website always at your service to assist you with account closure, if you want to know how to close hdfc bank account without visiting branch. Apart from this, its numerous branches are always ready to serve you with the best staff.
How to close HDFC bank account: Step by step
HDFC bank allows its customers to enjoy digital accessibility. However, if you want your hdfc account closure then, you will have to pay a visit to the nearest branch of your bank for the completion of certain formalities.
You can follow these steps if you choose to close the account permanently:
- Go to your nearest HDFC bank branch and ask for a form for account closure. The closure form needs some details, including your name, account number, and a reason for your account closure.
Using this form, you can also de-link and re-link certain added products which you were availing at the bank, such as a loan or fixed deposits in the bank.
- For convenience, you can obtain the form from the bank’s official website. However, it has to be submitted to the bank physically.
- The bank further requires the submission of your debit card and cheque book along with the closure form.
- Bring any of your valid identity cards, such as Aadhar Card, as verification proof and keep them handy during the procedure.
- Submit all the required documents correctly filled. This will be followed by an acknowledgement by the bank and a period of 10 working days to finally close your account.
Things to Keep in Mind Closing Your Bank Account
Precaution is always better than cure. We should be careful before closing our accounts blindly since we might miss the details in a hurry. Remember to follow these precautions before closing your bank account:
- Open a replacement account: If you choose to close your account, it means that you will not be able to extract money from the account anymore.
Hence, withdraw all the amount from your bank in the form of cash or transfer the amount online via UPI, NEFT transfer, IMPS, or Google Pay.
If you have a bank balance of more than 20,000 INR, you may withdraw it in the form of a manager's cheque. You can also open a new account at a bank of your choice and transfer the money into it before closing your account at HDFC.
- De-linking debit card: De-link all your auto-debit transactions and your credit card transactions linked to the existing account. As it may cause a default in your credit scores
- Backup of your statements: Keep a backup of your statements in the form of soft copies or hard copies. These bank statements may be required as a part of certain official prerequisites.
I hope you liked our article on how to close HDFC bank account, if you have any comments or suggestions do share them in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are There Any Charges For Closing The HDFC Bank Account?
There are no charges if you close your HDFC Bank account within 14 days of opening it. However, a sum of 500 INR is charged from 15 days to 6 months, and a sum of 250 INR is charged between 6 - 12 months of opening the account.
After 12 months, account closure is not charged any fee.
2. How to close hdfc bank account online?
It is only possible to download the form for closure of the account online, but you have to deposit the form personally as verification is vital.
3. Can I Close The HDFC Account Before 1 Year?
You can close your HDFC bank account within a year, but it may require you to pay upto 500 INR depending on how long it has been since you opened the account.