With four little paws, two innocent eyes, and a pointy nose, domestic animals are truly greedy for love and affection.
They genetically adapt these desirable characteristics over generations to live apace with humans. Some live on the streets, some with their owners, while many have tough jobs to do at the farm.
In the agriculture system, they and their by-products play a critical role in maintaining the nutrient cycle throughout the farm.
With that being said, let's dive right in and explore more information about domesticated animals.
List of Domestic animals name
Cows are a widespread type of domesticated animal. The adult male is termed a bull. They belong to the Bovidae family and species Bos.
In Hindu Dharma, cows are considered very auspicious and thus are also worshipped. Wildly, there are around 900 breeds of cows.
- Importance and Impact on the food chain: These friendly creatures help meet the maximum requirement for farming activities.
They provide milk from which many other by-products are also prepared. Cows maintain the balance of the food chain at the primary level.
Domesticated sheep are the most innumerable species of sheep. The female sheep is called a ewe, and the male sheep is called a ram.
They are a part of the Bovidae family and Ovis genus.
- Importance and Impact on the food chain: These ruminant mammals offer meat, wool, milk, skin, and manure.
Majorly in the country's arid, semi-arid, and mountainous areas, these quadruple play a significant role in maintaining the rural economy.
Some of these domesticated cripled hair mammals are also used in medical research, majorly for researching cardiovascular physiology.
Pigs are one of the most intelligent animals of all the other animals. Pigs are very
clean and rarely aggressive.
These fast-learning mammals with animal intelligence are very social.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: Domesticated pigs are primarily used for the production of meat called pork.
About 40% of meat consumed on earth is pork.
These cute animals are also used for studying nutrition, genetics, immunology, meat science, behavior, reproduction, and stress physiology.
Typically kept as livestock, domesticated goats become depressed if not kept with their goat companion. With their inquisitive nature, these curious animals tend to explore.
And investigate anything unfamiliar that they come across. They belong to the Bovidae family and Caprini tribe.
There are more than 300 distinct breeds. Male goats are called bucks, while the female ones are called does.
- Importance and Impact on the food chain: A goat is termed a herbivore. Domesticated animals are those that depend on the farmers for food and protection. In turn, these picky eaters offer meat, milk, skin, and fur to people all over the globe.
The ship of the desert; camels have an expected life expectancy of about 40-50 years.
These working animals are the most suitable means of transport for passengers and cargoes visiting desert habitats.
Camel milk is considered one of the healthiest kinds of milk in the world.
- Importance and impact on food chain: Nomads and dessert tribes make use of camel hair for making their tents, clothes, accessories, and beddings.
In earlier days these one-humped animals were used as cavaliers in wars. Thus it is capable of providing nourishment to individuals living in difficult climates, particularly the deep deserted population.
Also referred to as hairy cattle, yaks are herbivores that much on grasses, mosses, tubers, and flowers.
These long-haired domesticated cattle are found explicitly in the Himalayan regions. They have sturdy legs, bulky frames, and long and dense fur wide range of coat colors.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: These thick, Wooley-coated animals primarily supply fiber, meat, and milk.
Many yaks are also used by the ICAR-National Research Centre to undergo research on yak husbandry.
The duck is a small, short-necked mammal belonging to the Anatidae family.
Typically found in places, these waterfowls feed on grasses, fishes, small amphibians, and fishes, thus working as natural predators.
The female ducks communicate with a "quack" sound while the male partners make a range of calls such as whistles and grunts.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: Ducks have a significant role in a variety of conservative projects, such as restoring habitat and creating passages for fish.
With their 5 eyes and 6 legs; bees play a major role in pollination. They are essential for the health of the planet as well as the people living on it.
These winged insects are found on every continent except Antarctica. There are more than 16,000 known species of bees.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: These pollinators are important not only ecologically but commercially as well.
Their honey has antioxidants and antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat many diseases.
Hoofed mammals; horses belong to the Equidae family. They show a wide range of coat colors with different markings.
These herbivores have a better sense of smell than a dog.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: They have a very strong fight-to-fight response.
They keep mares at the dominant positions in their hierarchy.
These mammals are used for transportation, herding, warfare, communication, trading, sports, and much more.
Chickens are the most common domestic animals. They have a total population of 23.7 billion. These omnivores live for about 5-10 years.
They are gracious and live together in their flock.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: People also keep them as pets and let them grace their farms and fields.
A cockfight is a game that is played in many parts of the world amongst chickens of different breeds.
As a source of meat and eggs, more than 50 billion chickens are reared annually
Belonging to the Equidae family, there are more than 40 million donkeys in the world. They have a life expectancy of about 12-15 years.
They are considered one of the most valuable assets that a person can own.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: These stubborn animals are used in farming and for transportation, majorly in rural areas.
In urban areas, donkeys are sometimes used in construction or transporting goods from one place to another.
Cute little bunnies with pink ears belong to the Leporidae family. Female rabbits are called does, while the male rabbit is called a buck.
These herbivores rely on grasses and other leafy plants for food. Importance and
- Impact on the food chain: These herbivorous animals keep invasive plants(weeds) under control.
They graze rapidly and very heavily. Having a pet rabbit is a blessing as they promote mental and physical health.
An aquarium filled with colorful trim and large fishes is truly a blessing. It reduces stress, improves sleep quality as well as improves focus and creativity.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: These gill-bearing animals are not only kept at home as a pet but are also consumed due to their varied benefits.
They provide food to millions of people, especially those living in coastal regions.
Descendents of wolves; dogs were the first domesticated species. There is a wide breed of dogs depending on various shapes, sizes, and colors.
The omnivores thrive on a starch-rich diet. They hold an extraordinary place in human hearts.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: These cute fur animals offer companionship and company.
Not just as a pet, many people also categorize and train them as rescue dogs, service dogs, assistance dogs, and working dogs.
Moreover, these fur animals are secondary consumers and fall under the 3rd trophic level and eat the primary consumers.
These small carnivorous species belong to the Felidae family.
Around 60 breeds of cats that are known for meowing, trilling, hissing, purring, growling, and grunting are the few ways by which they communicate.
- Importance and impact on the food chain: They are known to spend plenty of time licking their coats to clean them.
Having a pet cat surely helps humans lower stress levels, prevent allergies and lower the feeling of loneliness.
Cats devour a lot of meat. They are also carnivorous.
This places them at the top of the food chain, wherein they play a crucial ecological role in managing the prey numbers and shaping animal populations. Species of the felid family, generally known as cats, can have an indirect impact on plant life.
Growing and maturing quickly, having plant-based diets, easy adaptability, and living in herds are a few common traits that all domestic animals name.
Furthermore, these are classified based on their roles, such as domestication, production, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the six domestic animals?
Ans. There are many domestic animals. However, cow, dog, cat, fish, horse, and rabbit are the most common six domestic animals. These can be found anywhere.
Q2. What are the top 5 domesticated animals?
Ans. Humans care for domestic animals. They nourish them, feed them, and in exchange, humans gain from them.
Out of the domesticated animals, the top five animals that can be domesticated include the goat, the sheep, the pig, the horse, and – our beloved – the cow.
Here are my best pet animals name:
Also Read: Check out my reviews of the best image editing software, the top choices for video editing software, and my full guide to start a blog for beginners.